Men of Courage Barbershop Challenge
Rules and requirements
Barbershops applying to be selected as a Men of Courage Barbershop must meet or agree to the following requirements:
- Barbershop must be in a location that is easily accessible to the public.
- Barbershop and barbers must be state licensed and provide a copy of their business license and insurance certificate.
- Barbershop must commit to allowing a Men of Courage “makeover” during the three month period of the challenge. Makeover could consist of Men of Courage signage, window wraps, barber capes or other branded material. If desired, branding removal after the Challenge will be at the expense of the barbershop.
- Barbershop must have Wi-Fi and provide a family-friendly atmosphere.
- Barbershops must promote Men of Courage programming and community engagements both in the barbershop and through social media.
- Barbershop must be committed to development and engaging the community at least two times per month (over the three month period for a total of six) in Men of Courage programs that take place in the barbershop. In addition barbershop must agree to partner with WSHM to host one additional Men of Courage themed/related activity per month (over the three month period for a total of three)
- Barbershop must be willing to allow live broadcasts on Sirius XM, Microsoft Game nights, WSHM and other special events. Barbershop must be willing to require attendees of Men of Courage events to sign media release forms and allow Men of Courage College Ambassadors the opportunity to capture events live.
- Barbershop must agree to provide some free community cuts when hosting community activations and partnership events with Microsoft.
BARBERSHOP CHALLENGE FINALIST EVALUATION:
A small group of community stakeholders, Ford and WSHM representatives will evaluate the two finalists and select the winner of the Challenge. The following criteria will be taken under consideration during the evaluation of the winner:
- Commitment to and execution of programming related to Men of Courage and changing the narrative around African American Men.
- Number of community members engaged in Men of Courage Barbershop Challenge programming.
- Overall quality of the barbershop’s Men of Courage programming.
Community Grant Donation:
The runner-up barbershop will be able to select a local non-profit of their choice to receive a $5,000 donation. Funds will be provided by Ford Motor Company on behalf of the runner-up. The nonprofit of choice must be a Section 501(c)(3) organization that is classified as “public charities” under Section 509(a)(1) or (2) of the Internal Revenue Code (Code) or political subdivisions. The nonprofits mission must also align with Ford Motor Company Fund’s funding pillars surrounding education, community life and driving safely.